Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tiger Mountain


I had a wonderful Valentine’s day weekend. I headed up to Seattle to visit Kerrie and spend some time with her. We visited a few breweries and bars, as well as the ever popular, Pike’s Place Market. Since I was going to be up in the Seattle area, I wanted to try out some of the local trails. After some research online and talking to a park ranger at REI, I decided on Tiger Mountain, although Cougar Mtn, and Rattlesnake Mtn looked really good as well. I settled on a 10ish mile loop linking a lot of different trails together. I had to run with a map because there were so many trail junctions. In the end, I ended up forgetting my water bottle and waterproof camera case at Kerrie’s house so ran without water and without my camera/phone. Bummer. The trail that I chose climbed all the way to the top of the mountain and got up to a little under 3000 ft after starting at 500ft. Definitely, my biggest climb of the year and showed me how much training I need to do in that area. I decided to bomb back down the mountain because I was behind schedule and had to make it home for our dinner reservations. My quads are still super sore, but I like it. All in all it was a great trip, just wish I had my camera.

On another note, I currently in the process of planning a backpacking trip for President’s Day weekend on the Pacific Coast of Olympic National Park. I am hoping this is going to be some A1-2 fun, but with a tight weather window and cold temps, it could turn out to be quite the adventure. My uncle J is leading the trip so that takes some logistical pressures off me which is nice and he is definitely more experienced than I am with this sort of thing. I am happy/embarrassed to say that this will be my first multi-day back packing trip. Up to now I’ve only been on overnights due to my busy schedule. More to come on this adventure…

UNT

Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment