Monday, November 3, 2014

Mt. Hood Circumnavigation

Coming up Gnarl Ridge
I had been wanting to do this trip for years and after climbing Mt. Hood in January, I decided that it would be my goal for the year to climb to the top and run around it. Had I planned a little better, I might even have included a Mt. St. Helen's climb and loop within a year as well. Too bad.

After running around Mt. St. Helen's during Labor Day weekend and feeling pretty strong, I felt pretty confident that I could handle Hood. My only mistake was hurting my IT band after jumping off a large boulder in the Plain of Abraham. I finished the run hobbling.

After a week off and a gradual increase in mileage, I forgot about the IT band issue all together. The weeks leading up to the run were a little chaotic as I tried to secure running partners and balance the forecast. In the end, I decided to give it a go solo. But just like MSH, I ended meeting some guys in the parking lot who were also going around. While we didn't hang out much little the end of the run, it was still nice knowing there were other guys out there.

My wife and mom decided to meet me at two spots along the way to provide moral encouragement and give me a bail out option if necessary.

#hotelement


The night before the run I took Ellie the Element up to the Timberline Lodge parking to camp #hotelement style, but ended up treating back down the mountain to a quieter, darker spot. I awoke around 5:30 with a goal of being on the trail by 6:15a. After talking to the two other guys and prepping my gear, I ended up leaving around 6:50a just as the sun was rising.

My plan was to take it nice and easy and enjoy the experience. I was aiming for a 9-10hr finish time, which I thought was manageable given the times of some other people that I knew. And off I went!






Someone walked out in bad shape
High Point for the run at Lamberson Spur
Cloud Cap Shelter
Crossing the Eliot washout. Just bombed down and climbed the rope on the other side. Should have started a little lower I think. Felt pretty safe.
Back into the land of trees
Around this time I began to get a little niggle in my IT band. Nothing hurt, but it wasn't a good sign. I took some time to stretch out and ran slightly gingerly. By the time that I got into Cairn Basin, my IT band was really starting to bark at me. I also began hitting the wall a little bit so I focused on getting some calories and hydrating a bit. I was walking more than I wanted in a pretty easy section of the loop.


Elk Prairie


Cairn Basin Shelter. My father and I camped here a few years ago. I remember being really impressed being in the alpine part of the mountain. 
Coming down towards Bald Mtn.
I was definitely on the struggle bus by this time. IT band was barking at me and my stomach didn't really feel like eating that much.

Ramona Falls
 By this time I was pretty late getting into Ramona Falls. My wife and mom were going to meet me there, but when I got there, they weren't to be seen. I ran a few mini loops looking for them in case they were in the wrong spot but no luck. I feared that they might have bailed to try and get service because I was late. I decided to head back down to the timberline trail and continue on. The plan was to leave a ribbon tied to the trail marker in case I passed before they got there. I thought that it would serve as a marker if they came back up later.

Just as I was getting to the trail though, I ran into my trail runner buddies from the parking lot. They had taken the PCT junction at Bald Mtn instead. They let me know that my crew was just around the corner so I waited for them as the other carried on.

Big thanks to my wife and mom for trekking up to make sure I was doing okay. I had planned to do the run unsupported, but I needed some real food so I had a few slices of apples. After saying good bye to them, I headed down to the river crossing where I made the poor decision to not fill up with water. I had brought a Sawyer filter just in case I needed it, but felt like I had enough water to make it up the big climb towards Paradise Park.



Unfortunately, I underestimated the strain of the climb and my proximity to water sources on this leg. By the time that I got to the top, I was dry and in need of some water. I caught up to the other two guys, but had to sit down at a little stream and try to fill my bladder, which is hard to do in a trickling stream. I got a little water, but eventually gave up and trekked onward looking for a better source. I knew that I waterfall was coming up in a little cove so I aimed for that. By the time I got there, I just climbed up the talus slope and filled my bladder straight from the waterfall. Not the best idea, but I needed it and didn't want to waste time filtering.

Happy to have some water in my belly and my pack 


I ended up catching the other two guys and finished the loop dreaming of beer and pizza. I got back to the starter point for a total time of 10hrs 52mins. My mom and wife were there to take pictures as we rounded the last bend. It was great to have them there for such a great moment.

Success. 40 miles in 10hrs 52mins
Despite my injuries and shortcomings, I had an amazing time and hope to do the trail again sometime in the next year or so. However it be hard to beat the weather.

UNT
Bryan


No comments:

Post a Comment