Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Maplewood Lollipop Loop

I went out for my first trail run since my 50k a week or so ago. As usual, I took it a little too intense for my first run in awhile. I decided to go out and do one of my favorite runs in the area, something I call the maplewood lollipop loop. This run is in Forest Park in Portland. If you arent familiar with it, just know that its worth moving to Portland just for this park and trail system, all with in Portland city limits. Anyway, this run starts on top of skyline rd at the firelane 2 gate. From the gate you descend pretty steeply down to the famous Wildwood trail, take the left and follow it a few yards till it intersects on your right with the Maple trail. Run the Maple trail in its entirety and when you get to Leif Eriksson(sp) take a right and run the old road roughly 100 yards until firelane 5. Head up firelane 5 (be cautious of mountain bikers decending down this trail bc its one of the only bike legal "trails" in Forest Park that is actually any fun. After some steep but quick climbing FR5 will intersect with the Wildwood Trail again and follow it left all the way back to FR2. Remember to keep some strength bc the climb up FR2 is very steep and stairsteps roughly 4 times. So this trail does a lollipop loop with Maple and Wildwood trail hence Maplewood.

Gate to Gate took me 1 hr and 19 mins with some change. Using the Green Trails map of Forest Park, I calculated the mileage at around 10.7 but I feel that number is a little high. By the end of the run, my muscles were feeling very tight and one of the tendons behind my right knee was bugging me. I definitely took it too hard for my first run in a week or so. Looks like Ill stick to my bike for a few days. I'm heading out to Sun Valley/Ketchum in a few weeks to rip some pristine Idaho singletrack with some college buddies so a little bike fitness wouldnt hurt.

Also, once my friend Adam gets done going over the photos from this past weekends birthday celebrations in Central Oregon, Ill get some pictures uploaded as well.

UNT

Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment