Thursday, May 26, 2011

To shave or Not to shave...


 On March 1st, I received this text from Andrew, “Happy Leg Shaving Day Gents.” For the past three years or so my roommates in college organized and competed for the Gonzaga Cycling Club Team, or as I affectionately called it, “GU Leg Shaving Team.” I’ve avoided this cycling tradition since then, because a) I’m a trail runner, where it is commonly known that the more hair you have on your body = faster times b) I’m a mountain biker, not a mountain bike racer c) I’m lazy, too much upkeep needed d) I don’t want to look stupid. e) my gf doesnt want me to do it

However, in recent years, I have sensed a change in myself. I started road biking, to cross train for running. I competed, rather miserably, and only twice, for the GU Leg Shaving team. And I recently purchased a cross bike. Over time I have become slightly more serious about cycling, which leads to a problem for me. Serious cyclists shave their legs. Period. Be it XC MTB, road, or cross. (Downhill MTBers are free of this tradition.) Unfortunately, I am not a downhill mtber. So am I a serious cyclist?

The Rule 33 of the Velominati states:

Legs are to be carefully shaved at all times. If, for some reason, your legs are to be left hairy, make sure you can dish out plenty of hurt to shaved riders, or be considered a hippie douche on their way to a Critical Mass.


Clearly, if I wish to keep my legs unshaven, then I have a serious amount of work to do on my fitness. I could gain cred from my cyclist friends by shaving my legs or lose cred from my trail running friends, not too mention my significant other, by shaving my legs. My friend Sean felt the full repercussions during his leg shaving tenure when his gf, at the time, rebelled by going hippy on his ass and refused to shave her legs until he let his grow back out to a respectable length. Not fun for any parties involved, as I learned that girls can have very hairy legs.

So in the end, I leave it up to the people. Not that I will let it sway my decision either way, but am interested in knowing what my peers think. And it would be nice to know that someone is actually reading my blog . So cast your vote on the poll on the right, then leave a comment and let me know what you think…

UNT

Bryan

4 comments:

  1. Don't crash and you wont need to shave them. Its a gamble though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll shave your legs now if you're a man! Stick it to the woman, she'll eventually get use to it. Remember, you wear the pants! Andrew, Lange, and Sean all vote HELL YES SON!!! And so does Kelly, even if he's trying to be the middle man here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the option only for races. Give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you dare! Sean stop giving him any ideas

    ReplyDelete