Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Wetness at Silver Falls

Middle North Falls?
This past weekend Kerrie and I headed out to celebrate our 5th anniversary. We started our adventure by visiting a string of wineries along 99W outside Newberg, Oregon. We hit up August Cellars, Duck Pond Cellars and Daedalus Cellars. We couldn’t help but buy a bottle at each stop. We had lunch at a cafĂ© in Dayton, OR before heading east to Silver Falls State Park.



Due to the recent storms, most of the park was closed except for the cabins. Kerrie and I’s cabin was a rustic little gem not far from the restroom and showers. Pretty sparse accommodations: basically a bunk head, couch and double bed. It was basically like camping, but with a really warm, wooden tent.




We cooked up some Jambalaya on the stove, built a fire and peered through the trees at the stars. We were lucky that the rain held off for the most part.

Getting our Scrabble on!
The following morning we wrestled up some eggs before I suited up to attempt the ~8 mile Trail of 10 Falls. Due to storm damage, most of the trails were closed so I didn’t really know what to expect or if I’d be able to make it around the whole loop.




In the end, I made it all the way around and was thoroughly soaked from the constant drizzle and many blowdown bushwhacks. The falls, however, were really going off! Their volume was incredible. I forgot my waist pack thing or else I would have brought my camera. REALLY disappointed that I forgot it!




After getting back, I showered and packed up. On the way back to Portland, we stopped at Seven Brides Brewing in Silverton for some Nachos and victory beers, then stopped in Mt. Angel for a really tasty braut!

All in all it was a fabulous weekend. Great to spend some quality time with Kerrie and to escape the hustle and bustle of the city.

UNT

Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment