Friday, June 8, 2012

Three Week Review

"Oop... I almost forgot. I won't be able to make it, fellas. Veronica and I trying this new fad called, uh, jogging. I believe it's 'jogging' or 'yogging.' it might be a soft j. I'm not sure but apparently you just run for an extended period of time! It's supposed to be wild."

-Ron Burgundy

So back to the blog. I have done exactly 1 run since the Sun Mountain 50 Miler, a little more recovery time than I would have liked. But my foot decided that it needed a break despite desperate pleas from myself to suck it up and carry on.

As previously mentioned in my last post, towards the end of my race, a mere 100 yards from the finish, a sharp pain developed on the outside of my left foot. I was able to gimp limp to within view of the finish line then adrenaline carried me through the finish with apparent ease. Shortly after this my foot again let out a screaming OWWW! as I stepped off a step carrying a plate full of pizza and a beer. I almost crumbled to the ground, but rested assured that no matter what, not a drop of that beer would have hit the ground as I had been dreaming of that beer for 8hrs and 30mins!

Soreness and occasional pain persisted the next day and into Tuesday when I had to go back to work. After a morning of barely being able to walk to the bathroom, I decided that something serious was up, and I began pouring over the Internet, looking for possible culprits:

Jone’s Fracture
Avulsion Fracture
Stress Fracture
Peroneal Tendonitis
POPS

The possible culprits did not look good. I began to worry. Fret. Panic. Complain. There goes my summer!

Decided that I needed an Xray so I headed off to Urgent Care after work. The Xrays came back negative for anything! Wahoo! But was also told that it was really too early to notice any stress fractures and that I should come back in a week. Damn! And told me that I have to wear a boot. Shit! But I was almost immediately able to start “walking” right away so at least I had regained my mobility. Hurray! I was also told to see a podiatrist for further recommendation.

I hate you Boot!
Two days went by. Thing were going okay. I was able to walk. I began emailing back and forth my Sports Chiropractor, Dr. Brad Farra, who I has previously worked with on my hamstrings and posterior tendon tightness. He was confused about why I was in a boot if there was no stress fracture and recommended that I come see him instead of wasting my money paying new patient fees at a podiatrist. So I scheduled an appointment for later that day.

I got to his office, and we talked. He worked me through some drills that I was able to do completely pain free. In the end, he diagnosed that there was no way that I had a stress fracture or any fracture given my response to his testing. Mega Wahoo! He told me to ditch the boot and began some ultrasound, graston and KT taping. I was able to walk home pain free!

Things went well the next week with only one major relapse (too much time walking and standing around in the mall the day after my initial treatment. L) I began working out on the bicycle trainer to try and maintain some fitness. I was able to do a much of hard interval workouts and my Friday night, I was fairly confident that I would be able to at least walkajog the Starlight 5k that my whole family signed up for months ago.

I tested the foot Saturday morning and my foot felt fine. No pain. However, my knee revolted initially. Still not used running yet. But they worked themselves out after a few blocks. Should have walked for a bit then started jogging/shuffling. I could walk faster than this jog!

So later that night I suited up in my neon yellow T-shirt and joined most of the fam on the starting line (my Father got hit my rock shrapnel while mowing and got 8 stitches in his shin. He responsibly backed out of the run).  I, on the other hand, felt confident enough to give in a try. And try I did, but I should have known that my competitive spirit would have come out. My never quit attitude pushed me on as my foot began to ache a ½ mile into the run. Its only 3 miles! Maybe 30 mins. And I could always walk. I foolishly? pushed through the pain. Walkajogging past hundreds of people. Don’t worry tho. I ran past the news cameras! Don’t want the whole world knowing that I was walking in a 5k J, only the people on the street got that pleasure.

I made it to the finish line, no significant pain or sharp pain, but my foot was definitely sore, a little swollen and achey. I iced massage on the way to dinner, which helped a ton.

I was able to walk almost pain free the next day and was walking normally and pain free a day after. I continued to hit the bike hard, saw Dr. Farra again for more ultrasound and graston. Now almost 3 weeks after Sun Mountain with only 1 run since, I stand on the precipice. I shall try to run again tonight. After work. Really slowly. I’m nervous. Biking is great and all. I love it. But it’s not running. It’s not helping me all that much for Waldo.

We’ll see what happens. Wish me luck.

I would also point out that my lovely girlfriend, Kerrie, completed her first 5k since high school. Way to rock it babe! You coulda done it way faster if you werent hampered by your gimp bf.


UNT

Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment