Thursday, June 21, 2012

Adventures in SW Washington


This past weekend, Kerrie was out of town and both of my roommates were gone for the whole day so I took a Bryan day in Southwest Washington. I haven’t really explored this area because for some reason it always felt too far away. It’s not. And I’ll be back to explore a lot more: Gifford Pinchot National Forest, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Adams, Trapper Creek Wilderness Area, Indian Heaven Wilderness Area and the Washington Side of CRGNRA (Columbia River Gorge National Recreation Area).

Since the weather looked great, my foot was healing well and I had the whole day, I packed of a day’s worth of gear and food and headed into Washington. My objective was to do a little trail running and exploring in a new area.

Primary goal for the day: Falls Creek Falls. Secondary goal: Soda Peaks Lake in the Trapper Creek Wilderness.

Falls Creek Falls was awesome, although I missed it on my first pass and head to go back down and around see the guy from the bottom. (There were a few waterfalls on this route, and I mistakenly thought I had found FCF. Had I known how large and impressive FCF was at the start, this would not have happened.)

Gotta love a good suspension bridge


Not Falls Creek Falls

Wow that looks a lot bigger than the waterfall I saw. Looks like I missed it and have to go back down and around.

Ah there we go. The two lower sections of FCF.


Parting shot
After snacking on some PBJs at the lower TH, and taking a closer look at my map and guide books. I deemed that the access to Soda Peaks Lake from the Government Minerals TH (?) would have too much climbing and descending for my foot. However, in the back of Sullivan’s Northwest Oregon guidebook, he mentions a backdoor route in via FR 56 (?) Sorry for the lacking details, don’t have my maps with me.) It would be a long 13 mi approach on a backcountry, but paved Forest Service Road. What the heck! A swim sounds nice!

Well I ran into a good amount of snow about a mile from the trail sign. One other person had pushed through the snow, but I wasn’t ready to risk more snow, remote location and unknown trail.

After pouring over the maps some more, I settled on a quick stop at Panther Creek Falls then a final jaunt up to the Wauna Viewpoint in the Gorge.

Panther Falls was extremely pleasant. I had it to myself. Climbed around a bunch, took lots of photos and relaxed. Definitely will be taking some more people here in the future.



Short hike to the viewing platform

Lower vantage point

Lower falls vantage point


Finally I ended my journey with a quick run up to the Wauna Viewpoint via the Tooth Rock TH. I noticed a bunch of ribbon and trail makers on the run up so there must have been a race of some sort on Sunday. Later research didn’t turn up anything tho L

Wauna Viewpoint was awesome. I loved the pillar/sentinel at the top. Felt like a worthy objective. Powerlines weren’t the best, along with the Bonneville Dam, but 180 degree view are always worth the trip. The weather was great so I hung out on the top for awhile before descending back down to my car.




The sentinel
All in all, great day. Hope to have more like it soon as I ramp up my training for Waldo 100k.

UNT

Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment