Friday, November 19, 2010

A Cure for Seasonal Affective Disorder


The doctor prescribed me with a weekly supply of Myo XP to cure my seasonal affective disorder. So far I have to say that it has been working wonderfully. I have been supplementing my prescription with the occasional trainer session which has helped me out quite a bit. However, I find myself being drawn to the mountains and constantly checking the ski reports. La Nina is coming, and I cannot wait. In the meantime, I am forced to debate whether tromping around in the mud, in the dark and in the rain is really worth it to get some trail time, but it’s the only adventurous option that I have. Given the conditions, I think it is pretty much the end of mountain biking season here in the PNW.  The lower elevation trails will remain snow free, but mud conditions will continue to get worse as the rain continues to fall over the next couple of months. 
Where I do work

My adventurous activities for the winter include resort skiing, snowshoeing, winter trail running and winter camping. I’d like to throw in some mountaineering and backcountry skiing, but I really don’t have the training or the gear for that right now. I am also in the process of considering buying some more gear: new pair of skis, MHW Trango 3.1 4-season tent, road bike, or a GoPro Helmet Hero HD camera. As of right now, I am leaning towards the tent because I think it will get the most amount of use in the current season and seasons beyond. I want new skis, but I don’t know much about skis so I’d like to demo a much before making my decision. Plus, I’d like to have a good backcountry setup in the future so I’d like to have skis that function well both in the backcountry and the resort, as well as, in the pow and in icy conditions. I assume my super ski and AT bindings will be expensive so I cant really afford that right now and don’t want to have to buy one set of resort skis and one set of backcountry ski. I’ll just wait and buy one super set. And the road bike wont be usable until late March at best so Ill have time to save up more money by then anyway.
That is what’s going on for me right now. I’m hoping to do some Thanksgiving skimboarding next week but I’ll have to fix my board or buy a new one or maybe adam will let me use his. Keep a lookout for those photos coming up.

UNT 

Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment