Thursday, March 15, 2012

One Run Too Long



Overexposed shot of a bridge. Cant remember the name

With the snow level finally a little higher in the coast range, I headed out to Elk Creek Gate to do an OAB to the Tillamook Forestry Center for around 23-23.5mi and somewhere in the neighborhood of 3500-4000ft EG.



I completed the distance and actually felt pretty good till the end. Unfortunately, with about 2mi to go, I realized that I was already 30mins overdue to the "safety check-in" with the gf, due to an addition error on her part. Nevertheless, she would worry so I hustled it to the end. Around this time, I also bonked pretty hard. I had been trying a new fueling strategy with Hammer Nutritions Perpetuem mix. I mixed in a multi-hour bottle and one multi-hour flask, but also had gel in case the Perpetuem wasnt enough. Apparently, it wasn't, as all of a sudden I just hit the wall coming down to the Kings Mtn junction. I just got really sleeply so I popped in a gel that luckily had caffiene to carry me through.

Perpetuem Multi-Hour Bottle
The whole duration of the run I left very strong structurally speaking (aka no hammy issues, no tight hips, no tender feet, no tired quads, only slight calf tightness) which I took as a good sign considering this run was my longest yet and had lots of climbing and descending. Although, as mention, I was very tired towards the end, which I assumed was normal considering I was putting in big weekly mileage and was also scheduled for a rest/recovery week starting on that next Monday.



Unfortunately, I seem to have picked up some sort of foot/ankle injury, probably due to overuse. At this point, I think that it is Posterior Tibial Tendonitis, but my PT/Chiro appt today should confirm this. More on this soon.

UNT

Bryan




The bridge over the wilson river to the Tillamook Forestry Center

No comments:

Post a Comment